Decision Day

    This week I first starting using InDesign and Premier Pro. At first, I was overwhelmed by the amounts of features I would need to learn. The unfamiliarity of editing programs seemed to shock me because it looks more challenging than I thought. The number of features where both immensely great compared to previous editing programs I used. They both had the basic features like all editing programs should have like importing projects, images, effect, titles, colors, and so forth. However, both had their own unique features. 

    Storytelling has always been apart in human history as to whether it is through medias or films. In the article by “Our Place in the Universe: The Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom” by Cherry said that “When our ancestors first tried to understand the world around them, they told stories”. Stories where told since ancient times dating back to thousands of years ago no matter the form they were told in and how they were conveyedWhen it comes to storytelling critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity is needed as said by Cherry (2017). Back then tools for storytelling were passed through paperwork, however as it is present day in society contains immense amount of technology to create a work of stories through editing programs. In a project done with students that Cherry did used application to create stories by “importing photographs of the creations into a program such as Microsoft Publisher to create a graphic novel or into iMovie to be combined with narrations over the scenes”. However, a better program to this date provides more features such as Premier Pro. That app offers to import videos and audios to create your own story. Even more features such as special effects like fading or editing certain part of a clip. Through that storytelling is much easier.

    Magazines have been on a decline as so to say. Franklin from the article “Survival of the fittest: four editors on the future of literary magazines” invited four editors from magazines. They talked about the reason in decline of due to at first blaming the lack of finances to create stories. Then they transition to talk about how a change is needed in showing their products to subscribers to tell their story, “writers are poor subscribers and find other ways to gain their distribution: through online sources”. So, they decided to resort telling their storytelling through online based magazine instead of print. They worry about how it would affect their story because of transition from “print to Internet-based formats”. However, an effective program such as InDesign could provide advanced features to keep their originality and traditional stories with features such as image imports and text color changes or fonts, to what they always had. With use of InDesign to make effective titles, and covers; high quality, original yet traditional magazines where their stories could be told. 

    I have an interest in film making and cinematography so I believe a high-quality program such as Premier Pro could help me make an impressing video. I have chosen to do the film as of right now. Premier Pro provides me multiple features to use. I was also affected by how touching stories could be told through programs and media platforms. I would like to make an impactful story like as Cherry had done with his students. Both programs would become useful in creating a successful project to make my film. Through the tutorials that can be re-watched I can learn how to use the program and create my film for the portfolio. 

Comments